Maryland Criminal Defense Attorney
Serving College Park, Gaithersburg, and the Surrounding Areas
I am attorney Steve Jacoby, and I have dedicated more than 37 years to helping people who are facing life-changing legal challenges. Today I represent clients facing criminal, personal injury, and Social Security Disability-related matters. Part of my practice is focused on representing college students of the University of Maryland College Park.
Contact the Law Offices of Steven M. Jacoby at 301-779-5560 or 800-864-4488 to schedule a free initial consultation.
Areas of Focus
- Parents of college students — I regularly represent students of the University of Maryland College Park. Learn how I can help your child if he or she if facing criminal charges and academic penalties.
- Drunk driving, alcohol offenses and college students — If you’re under 21, you face severe sanctions if you are charged with a driving DUI, DWI, or another alcohol-related offense in Maryland such as possession of a fake ID.
- Date/acquaintance rape — Date rape or acquaintance rape is a sex crime that involves an allegation of nonconsensual, forcible sex between persons who know each other.
- Student rights — You have rights and I can help you safeguard them. As your attorney, I can help you understand your rights when approached by police in your dorm room, in your car or in other settings.
- Juvenile court — I represent minors in juvenile court proceedings, including drug possession, use or distributions, sex crimes, robbery, theft, shoplifting, malicious destruction of property, vandalism and other juvenile crimes.
The Judicial Board hearing process at the University of Maryland College Park (UMCP) can be frightening to students and their families. If you have been charged with violations of the Code of Student Conduct, the Residence Hall Contract, or the Honor Code (academic dishonesty ), you may face expulsion, suspension, termination of your housing, and other sanctions.
I have defended students in Judicial Board and Academic Dishonesty Hearings for nearly 30 years. My expertise in this very specialized area has been invaluable in saving the academic careers of numerous clients.
Experienced Drunk Driving and Criminal Defense Lawyer Serving Prince George’s County
- Drunk driving, traffic offenses and MVA hearings — As an experienced Maryland criminal defense attorney, I provide aggressive defense against DUI/DWI charges in the criminal court as well as administrative hearings at the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) regarding driver’s license suspension. Do not underestimate the importance of an MVA hearing. Suspension of your driver’s license is a serious matter. License suspension may be a minor inconvenience for some, but is a major problem if your job depends on your ability to drive.
- Drug offenses — If you have been charged with drug possession, possession with intent to distribute, drug distribution, manufacturing, or any other drug-related offense, you need an experienced advocate on your side. I defend clients from charges involving marijuana, controlled substances and other illegal drugs.
- Sex offenses — Sex crimes can include rape, sexual assault, incest, child molestation, child pornography, solicitation of a minor, and date rape. If you are convicted of certain sex offenses, you will be required to register as a sex offender on the Maryland Sex Offender Registry, in addition to other potential penalties, such as imprisonment.
- White Collar Crimes — I handle white collar crime cases involving embezzlement, financial impropriety, misuse of company credit cards, and employee misconduct.
- Theft — At my firm, we represent clients charged with theft crimes such as robbery, burglary, shoplifting, retail theft, employee theft, and auto theft.
- Violent crimes — I can defend you from charges for murder, manslaughter (vehicular or while driving under the influence), felony or misdemeanor assault, weapons charges, robbery, and domestic violence.
- Expungements — I can guide you through the process of clearing your criminal record if you had a previous case dismissed or were found not guilty of a crime.
Handling Personal Injury Claims for Injured Clients
For more than 37 years, I have successfully represented thousands of people who have suffered physical injury or financial losses as a result of car accidents, truck accidents, slip-and-fall accidents, work accidents, and medical malpractice. I can help you receive the compensation you may deserve for serious injury or wrongful death.
Obtaining Social Security Disability Benefits
If you have been denied Social Security Disability (SSD) benefits or Supplemental Security Income (SSI), do not give up. You have the right to appeal. An appeal can result in a reversal of an unfavorable decision. I can help you get the financial and medical benefits to which you may be entitled if you are unable to work because of disability.
Contact The Law Offices of Steven M. Jacoby
Contact the Law Offices of Steven M. Jacoby by e-mail or call 301-779-5560 or toll free at 800-864-4488. I offer a free case evaluation so we can discuss your case options.